Main Navigation
Wilson & Parlett
En EspaƱol

What injuries must be reported at work?

Your employer in Maryland probably carries workers' compensation insurance as required under the law. If you get into an accident and are injured at work, you have the right to make a claim under this insurance. However, not every injury is covered. It is important that you understand what injuries must be reported so you can ensure you get proper coverage.

To begin with, the Workers' Compensation Commission explains you must make sure the injury falls under those covered by workers' compensation. The law is pretty specific. The injury must result from an accident that occurs during the course of your employment. This may seem like a simple statement, but it can get complicated.

The incident has to have been accidental. If you did something to lead to the accident that was against the rules or the law, then it will not be covered. It also has to happen while you are working. This means while you are doing your job duties. If it happens outside your work hours and you were not operating under the direction of your employer, it may not be covered.

It may seem obvious, but you have to be an employee of the company. This may seem obvious, but you need to ensure you are an employee. Some employers hire people on as independent contractors. If you are designated as an independent contractor, you cannot claim benefits under workers' compensation.

Even if you meet all the requirements, there must still be a hearing to determine if you can receive benefits. You must present evidence to back up your claim for it to be approved. This information is for education and is not legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Upper Marlboro Office
14513 Main Street
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772

Toll Free: 877-727-5388
Phone: 301-358-5997
Fax: 301-952-9117
Upper Marlboro Law Office Map

College Park Office
7309 Baltimore Avenue
Suite 115
College Park, MD 20740

Phone: 301-952-8205
Map & Directions

Prince Frederick Office
85 Sherry Lane
Prince Frederick, MD 20678

Phone: 410-535-5333
Map & Directions

Leonardtown Office
22835 Washington Street
Leonardtown, MD 20650

Phone: 301-475-3232
Map & Directions

Waldorf Office
3165 Crain Highway
Waldorf, MD 20603

Phone: 301-843-4004
Waldorf Law Office Map

Annapolis Office
8 Loudon Lane
Annapolis, MD 21401

Phone: 410-263-0606
Map & Directions

Review Us